Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My first encounter with the Old City

After arriving at the hotel and scoping out the site for our b'nai mitzvah service I met an old friend from high school who made Aliyah over 20 years ago.  We caught up over dinner and then she took my for my first encounter with the Old City.  Again, I am unable to put into words how much impact this place has had on me.  How do you describe walking into living antiquity?  How do you explain how it feels to see with your own eyes things you have been studying and envisioning for so many years.  The truth is, you can't, except to express gratitude for having the opportunity to be in this place.  And to experience the Old City at night was really something special.  As my friend Jane showed me around, it was like taking a step back in time, and further we explored the more connected I felt to my Jewish identity and our Jewish ancestors who wandered the same streets (without the help of electricity like we had).  Our final stop on to journey was the site I had been most eagerly anticipating experiencing, the Western Wall.  I had envisioned visiting this place so many times in my life, and feared that the build up would make the actual encounter anticlimactic.  As we turned the corner and I got my first look at the Kotel, my breath was taken away.  As we approached, my friend Jane took my camera and allowed me to have my own time and space at the Wall.  As I stepped closer and closer I felt more and more in awe of what was in front of me,  I found a private spot where I reached out and touched history for the first time.  For so many years I had been praying towards this place, my heart full I sent blessings from Southern California towards Jerusalem.  Now, my heart was overflowing.  As I rubbed the ancient stone with my eyes closed and prayers pouring out of my heart I began to weep.  I have never experienced prayer quite like this.  I truly felt like I was on a pilgrimage and I had reached my destination.  And God's hands were embracing me after my long journey.  I am grateful that Jane took pictures of this first encounter with the Wall so I can relive that special moment.  


To be honest, I do not know how long I stayed at the Wall praying, and I could have stayed there longer.  I have never felt so connected to my Judaism or the Jewish people.  Today, I had a free morning before meeting our tour guide Zvi and heading back to the airport to meet our tour.  I went right back to the Old City and explored for three more hours.  And of course, I found my way back to the Wall, this time from atop the Old City.  I can hardly wait to see our TAE tour group have their encounter with the Wall and the Old City.  And I can't wait to lay my hands on that ancient stone in prayer again.


1 comment:

  1. The marvels of technology have made it possible to see my dear nephew touching this sacred place where thousands have died to be able to visit.

    ReplyDelete